Thursday, February 7, 2013

Clutter Control

Hmmm....interesting that my last two titles have both had that word "CONTROL" in them!  It's something I constantly have to work on, giving up trying control everything in life and giving it over to God.

But back to that other word...."CLUTTER".  I started my "spring" cleaning during Christmas break.  And by "spring", I am not talking about seasons.  I am talking about years' of accumulation of stuff.  Years as in we've been married 18 years and have lived in this house for 16.5 years.

I have finally gotten it straight in my head, though, where to put and store everything.  And I am also taking great delight in throwing away and donating stuff.  I have a concrete plan of where to store important documents, photos, greeting cards and correspondence, miscellaneous items, and my son's art work and school papers.  I have even designated a spot for what I am going to call the "Crap Box" and this is where I will dump all the things that my son and husband leave lying around that I have no idea what to do with: tools, hunting equipment, batteries, mysterious cords, cables, and chargers, etc.

There is just so much to do.  Even when you live in a tiny 1,000 square foot home.  I wouldn't want a (much) bigger home (okay....1200 square feet would be the bomb!) because I know all those extra places would get filled with more stuff.  I just want things to be neat and organized.  And when things are neat and organized, that makes for peace and rest and calm.  And I really desire peace, rest, and calm, not only for my family, but for my poor, disorganized, scattered brain!

Let's face it, though. Other than me, my family consists of two males, ages 38 and 13.  A mess doesn't necessarily bother them.  What does bother them, however, is how I react to a mess!  Poor guys.  You know the old saying, "When Mama Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy!"  Very true here in our humble abode. :-)

So I have cleaned out two closets, given away 150+ books, given away a bunch of items for the church's next yard sale, and am busy throwing away useless junk and unnecessary paperwork, and sorting clothes to give away.  My goal is to have this spring cleaning, which began in December, completely finished by May 31.  Why that date?  Because  school is out for the summer beginning the next week and my son and I will have a much more pleasant time together if everything is tidy and in order.

Well, off I go.  I have trash bags to fill!

What is YOUR spring cleaning like?

6 comments:

  1. You have gotten the jump on me; I have written a post called "Stuff" in my head for the past year (and continue to revise it). I continue to want to clean and purge - yes, for control - but veer into the old "but maybe we might use it" mantra that I want to shut down. But next week I'm committing to donating items to a massive garage sale to help out a friend, and hope to have some empty spaces in the cabinets.

    What made me gasp, though? You donated 150+ books? I would have come over and pored through the discards for the gems. You know I'm addicted, don't you?

    Congratulations on the Big Clean. Isn't it such a stupendous feeling of accomplishment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margie, I would have loved for you to come dig through my piles of books! As a matter of fact, I held one back just for you and will be mailing it to you later for a great summer read! Also, if you had been here with me, you could just stay for awhile and help me out with this enormous task. There aren't many friends I would let see my hidden nooks of clutter, but I would let you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peace, rest, and calm. I so desire those but one look at our "extra" room and those fly out the window. I have cleaning and organizing closets and cabinets and, if I feel brave, under the kid's beds. {smile} Thanks for being honest. You inspire me! Now to be held accountable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin, thanks for stopping by. I am such a sporadic blogger, I am lucky to get any readers! Yes, I know you struggle with your extra room, but I would love for us to designate a couple of days this summer for me to come over and help you with it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, sporatic blogger, I am always gladly surprised when I do happen to drop by and there is a new post. I am hoping that the video of Ann Lamott saying, if you are a writer, (and YOU are) write every day....put your behind (am not allowed to say b-tt by Gabby) in a chair and write. I am holding you accountable girly! I will also be glad to do a clutter check after BS every week or so. Am proud of you for the pounds of weight and pounds of clutter removed from your body and home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caroline, this is the first time I checked this post to find your reply. I am touched, truly, by your willingness to let me see into your nooks of clutter. (Even though I live too unfortunately far away to simply pop over.) I have a written list of things-to-do and you're on it; I owe you a letter. Look, then, for it. Perhaps I'll sit down to pen it over spring break? That's next week - I hope the "break" shakes up my routines a bit and you get your letter.

    ReplyDelete