Friday, March 23, 2012

It's Kind Of A Joke

My tag line for Green Velvet Couch---"Where I Lie Around and Read All Day"---is cute and says a lot, but it's kind of a joke.  See, I'm a stay-at-home mom of an older child who is not homeschooled.   Moms of my variety are few and far between around here.

I can't tell you how many times I've been asked the question, "So....what do you do all day?", the implication being that I am lazy and couldn't possibly being doing anything worthwhile.  I know, I know....I'm hypersensitive and I view a lot of stuff as a personal attack.

The fact is I never run out of things to do around here.  My hubs and I decided a long time ago, early into our 17-year marriage, that our family just works best when I am at home to take care of things.  I clean, cook, make the grocery list, budget, pay bills, do the shopping, do laundry....you know, all the stuff that all moms do, whether they work outside the home or not.

I feel I am blessed to be able to stay at home.  My wardrobe requires very few clothes, I am always available for my son, I have plenty of time to run errands and go to my frequent doctor appointments and I often get to go out to lunch with my mom and with my friends.  Those are just a few of the benefits.

So, how does this relate to my "lying around and reading all day" on the Green Velvet Couch?  The truth is I read for maybe an hour each regular, ordinary day.  Some days not at all, some days a lot more if I have the time and a really great book.  What helps a lot is that I sit in the car line at my son's school  for about 30 minutes every afternoon and that is 30 minutes of uninterrupted reading time.

At home, after my husband and son are home, it's not so easy.  It's a little more noisy, what with the TV and my husband sitting around practicing his turkey calls, my son running in and out of the house and stuff like that.  I find noise a great distraction.

So, I just wanted to explain that I don't actually lie around all day, eating bon-bons and reading....though that sounds very nice!

How much time do you spend reading each day?

13 comments:

  1. =) Hi, new blog!

    I probably read about the same amount of time as you do these days. On a really good day (with a really good book) I'll read about 2 hours. Most days it's one hour or less. And BOY do I get noticeably CRABBY if I go several days without reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand about the crabbiness! I feel like my whole equilibrium gets out of whack if I don't read on a regular basis. It's actually one of the signs that I'm not taking care of myself like I should. My husband likes to see me read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's try this again - 3 attempts yesterday were for naught (and on 3 separate blogs, too). My answer is: Not enough, but a little every day. But, like Carrie, I get super crabby if I can't, because it's such a good mental health break for me. And while we're on the subject of books (perfect place here, eh?), I'm going to read the first Hunger Games book fairly soon - another friend, who's also been resisting, is letting me borrow the one she bought with a gift card. So. I'll have to report back when that's done...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to reply up here, but replied down there. Still not used to this new blogger set-up!

      Delete
  4. I did try to comment on the last blog....we'll see if this one goes through....

    I read at least an hour a day and more if I get a great book and time allows. I was so blessed to see my granddaughter Caitlin carrying books with her here last weekend. When she wasn't involved in the conversation or activity, she was reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donnamo, I did away with that annoying word verification, so maybe that will help keep comments from disappearing...

      Yay for Caitlin for reading! I love to see children who are hungry for books, maybe because my own child only nibbles at them, instead of devouring them :-)

      Delete
  5. Caroline, I love your new blog!! The layout, the title, everything - oh, it's splendid!

    I usually read every day while I eat my lunch; I wait to eat until the boys are napping or having quiet time. Why? Because I'm selfish and want that me-time. ;-) Also because it's easier to not try to have a relaxing lunch while they are eating because if I do, the inevitable requests for "more milk, please!" or "is there more soup?" start to bug me. So I focus on them while they eat lunch, then I pull out a book and enjoy it to my heart's content while I eat my lunch. :)

    I know that soon, I'll have more time to read, since that is one of the things I love to do while nursing a baby. Especially middle-of-the-night feedings - they're so much better if I have a great book to keep my mind occupied when what I really want to do is go back to sleep! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Davene, so glad you made it here! Thanks for your kind words about my new bloggy home.

      Ahhh...the night time feedings. Perfect for reading. What books have you got awaiting you?

      I remember after Matthew was born I couldn't read or watch TV for a long time. When I finally started to read, it took me six long weeks to finish a Susan Isaacs paperback. It had never taken me so long to read a book in my life!

      Delete
  6. Margie, I love the way you described reading----a mental health break! Yes! From now on I will be announcing to my guys that I need a mental health break :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually do not start a book unless I have vacation time or a day off. The reason? My son brought home Catching Fire one day from school and I read it in one day. He brought the last in the Collins series home and I read it in 8 hours. I stayed up until 1 am and got up at 6 that day. I guess you would call me a compulsive reader. If I really like a book, it consumes me. So I try not to start unless I can finish.
    My hubby does NOT like when I am in a book induced stupor. Nor do my kids. SO I read on vacations. I may read six or seven books round the clock. I dont read anything more than work materials or magazines in normal life. Oh, but I do read a lot of commentaries and stuff to prepare for SS lessons.
    I know that staying home is a sacrifice! Don't let people make you feel like it is lazy, I work part time, and I really wish sometimes we had the peace of me staying home full time so that I didn't have to do laundry at midnight or run to the grocery on my lunch break. We also grab dinner on the go more than I would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabby, those Hunger Games books are addictive, aren't they? I wish there were more in the series! Next on my list is seeing the movie. You saw it, didn't you? How was it?

      So, have you compiled a list of books to take on your annual beach vacation? Would love to know what you are planning on reading!

      I'm so glad you visited me here at my new blog. Ahem---it is past time for you to post something new on your blog. I'm just saying. :-)

      Delete
  8. Love your new blog! What a cute name and of course, I love the tagline. Because that's what we do all day, you know! :-)

    I've gotten out of reading as much in the past few years. One of my goals for this year was to read at least one book a month, since I really enjoy reading and miss it. Still haven't gotten started on it---need to make a list!

    Before I was married, I lived with my sister and she was always buying books so I always had abundant reading material. Now it's up to me and bookstore and library trips are few and far between!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary Ann, so glad you stopped by! Of course, I knew you would understand people's misconceptions about those of who "stay at home"!

    I think a book a month sounds like a great starting place! Maybe you can find some good used books at the yard sales you and your hubby like to go to. Sometimes I try to buy books inexpensively because I don't want to be limited by the two-week checkout period at the library.

    ReplyDelete